Sunday 28 July 2013

Spun to weave...

I get more spinning time than weaving time nowadays, but I often have weaving ideas for my yarns.

In the past couple of weeks I have been spinning:
Castlemilk Moorit fleece spun longdraw from rolags;
Cotswold fleece worstead from combed fleece;
coloured Merino longdraw from carded rolags.


The Castlemilk Moorit is not quite as soft as it looks due to having two types of wool fibre, a soft wool undercoat and some stiffer longer hairs. I might knit a jumper or jacket, if I have enough. If not enough to knit I could weave with a different wool for contrast in colour and possibly a longer fibre wool to add strength (the fibres in the fleece were around 3-6cm) or a softer wool for comfort.

The Cotswold, centre in photo, I could dye and weave into a firm twill fabric suitable for a jacket or for upholstery.

The Merino, bottom in photo, is lovely and soft. I have also spun blends of this with alpaca. It would make warm, soft woven scarves and would also be lovely to knit into a jumper or scarves, hats, mittens. It was a large fleece and I have plenty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or... use the Merino as inlay on top of a ground cloth in the Cotswold? They look so happy together!

Meg said...

Weave. And show me.

charlotte said...

I'm totally in love with those natural colors, have always been. There's nothing like that deep natural nrown, or the soft grey of a yarn that's neither bleached nor dyed.

Judy said...

Lovely spinning and dreaming about the possibilities must be a lot of fun.