Wednesday 2 January 2013

Another loom...

Saved from the waste tip - last year I bought some spinning equipment from a man who was clearing out his mother's house, as an after thought he mentioned there was an old loom that he had been going to take to the tip, but could drop off at our house instead.

We think this was made to the plans in David Bryant's book, also available from his Craft Designs website. It is probably around 30 years old, same as the spinning wheels I bought at the same time. The owner had clearly been a keen spinner and weaver and taught the crafts - I also have yet to sort out a bag of homemade rigid heddles, stick shuttles and backstrap loom pieces.



We have had fun caring for this loom, it has been taken apart, all the wood and metal re-finished, got new supports for the beater and rubber stops for the beater on the castle, new aprons, new shaft springs. A couple of nights ago I rubbed the shafts with candlewax to help the heddles slide along them.

I like the metal ratchet and pawls and the way the shaft levers lock in position. I like the solid wooden frame, it's rather beautiful. However it has sat on our living room floor in the way of my piano for six months and it is about time I got a test warp on it to check the shaft action as there is now a weaver ready and waiting for a loom, so if she likes the look of it and I find that all is working well it can go on to a new home - and then I can play my piano again!





Postscript: two blog posts in the two days of 2013: I shan't keep it up, you know!

5 comments:

Meg said...

You have done a superb job of truly UPcycling the wee loom. Congratulations, Dot! I'd say, you'll only find out it'll work really well, fingers crossed, and the new owner will be very inspired.

Unknown said...

What a lovely story. I hope it works out. I had to empty my family home last year and a lot of stuff ended up at the tip rather than at loving homes just because of time constraints and emotional state.

Trapunto said...

What a cutie! And it looks to be exceedingly well made for a home built loom from what I can see your pictures--edges beveled, wood sanded, joins tight. I like the lift system. And you clearly took some pains with the restoration! I look forward to seeing your first warp, and hearing how you like weaving on it.

James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

What a beautiful loom you have saved, I have just got myself an ashford rigid heddle loom, really loving doing my first projects even if I have made a few mistakes!

You can see on my blog any advice would be great!
TinyWoodlandFibres.blogspot.co.uk