Monday 10 September 2007

Weaving - the warp on hold.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated, weaving-wise, the sample warp is wound on the back beam and has sat there most of a week. I had other things to do this weekend, my next good chunk of time for making progress will be Thursday morning. The next task is to tie-up treadles, then thread heddles, sley the read, tie the warp to the front apron. Quite a few hours work!

So, in the meantime, here's a photo of the warp "on hold". To stop the threads slipping and tension being lost, I have run a lath along the top of the back beam. Under the lath, to create the friction needed to grasp the threads so they don't slip, there is a thick piece of linen thread. You can see the tail end of the thread emerge from under the lath at the top left of this picture. The lath is held tight with a solid pair of g-clamps. I keep finding more uses for these clamps, they are invaluable weaving tools!



2 comments:

Peg in South Carolina said...

I like your lath innovation. I never wind on a warp unless I have the time to do it all in one go. Now you have given me the tool to use if I must stop. Thank you!
A nice thing about warping is that it breaks up into a lot of little steps (though for me winding on is a big step) each of which you can do in odd moments if you don't have a solid block of time.
"G" clamps? Here in the USA we call them "C" clamps! I guess we don't take into consideration the screwing post thing (technical term there.......)

Leigh said...

Excellent tip! And come to think of it, those clamps do look more like "G's" than "C's."