Thursday, 24 December 2009

Season's Greetings

The shortest day and longest night are past, the snow lies deep around us and this part of the world looks like the picture of a Christmas card. It is beautiful and peaceful.

The days of December have been slipping by fast, in part because of an ambitious present, a special something for my Mother's Christmas day birthday. It's a handwoven scarf from handspun wool, my first ever weaving project with all handspun yarn. To my great relief, it has turned out well. However, all she'll get on her birthday is e-mailed pictures as I missed the last post date: I only finished it this afternoon (and it's Christmas Eve). I think you'll understand there has to be an embargo on photos of this project until the special present is in my Mother's hands.

When the library re-opens after holidays next week I'm going to have photos for you of the scarf project, of the new prototype bobbin on my antique spinning wheel (it works! it spins beautifully!) and some pretty snow scenes.

Best wishes to all for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

13 comments:

Meg in Nelson said...

Congratulations on completing the scarf, Dot! I've just started to weave mine.

Have a lovely day tomorrow.

Leigh said...

Congrats on that scarf, Dorothy!

A very merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. (Cats included :)

marina said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Geodyne said...

Well done, you! How exciting to have your first entirely hand-made scarf to give her.

I'm pleased you still have snow. After a week of it, most of ours melted yesterday. There's just the odd patch now.

A warm and happy Christmas to you!

Margreet said...

Dorothy,
I can't wait to see pictures of your hand spun handwoven scarf.
Have a Merry Christmas and wishing you a good happy healthy colourful 2010.
greetings from Holland where it is snowing on Christmas Day.
Margreet

ladyoftheloom said...

Merry Christmas Dorothy! Can't wait to see the scarf as I am sure it is beautiful!

evasweaving said...

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year! Dot, I can't wait to see pictures of the scarf you made.

Eva (in snowy Pennsylvania, USA)

Janet said...

I look forard to seeing those photos Dot. Happy Chriatmas to you and yours.

Barbara Blundell said...

Look forward to seeing the scarf. It will probably be something your mother treasures greatly
Happy New Year - hope it's a good one for you !

Catherine Wakely said...

I've seen the pictures and it is lovely, and Daddy made a special envelope for the photos he printed (and pretended the postman had come on Christmas Day with typical Daddy style) - I have some pictures for you :-)

xx

Life Looms Large said...

Hope you had a great holiday!

Congrats on finishing up your first scarf out of handspun yarn. I'm sure it's gorgeous and I look forward to pictures. Finishing such a special project just in time is no small feat. (I'm a terrible deadline weaver/knitter.)

Looking forward to your photos!

Sue

callybooker said...

Well done - handwoven gifts are definitely the best :)
Looking forward to seeing the pictures and hope you had a good day.

Carrie said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog! I'm looking forward to seeing your scarf. Hope you had a lovely Christmas, and have a wonderful New Year!
Carrie xx