Friday, 1 January 2010

Into a new year...

It is very wintery here, yet another day and night below freezing and a while to spring, however, the extra daylight is noticeable and the extra cold might mean less slugs about the garden in the springtime. I think it's time I thought about what plants to grow this year and got my seed order in. I need madder seed for starters. Madder doesn't like soggy ground, unfortunately the place where mine was battling to survive was so soggy last summer it grew something that looks like spagnum moss (that's the tall, bushy moss that grows on peat bogs). There wasn't much sign of the madder by autumn, so I think I shall have to start again and find somewhere better drained and sunnier.

Meanwhile, these are my photos of the stunning beautiful soft snow that fell just before Christmas. The first night of snow caught a few last rosebuds.


By the 23rd we had deep snow, and it fell steadily until late afternoon when I took a walk up the road with my camera, bringing these back for you -








Of course the Derbyshire Peak District where we live is beautiful all year around, but it is enchanting and a little mysterious in snow.

Here is our Christmas tree -

And - another heartwarming Christmas scene - in the middle of this photo you can see the bright eyes of the independent cat who stops in our greenhouse.

She has a wicker basket lined with wool filled cushions, and with her long fur fluffed up she's survived several freezing nights out there, with temperatures down to -5 centigrade. I've been giving her extra food, she eats something like three times as much as our indoor cats, especially as she goes next-door-but-one and gets 2 meals a day there too! She isn't getting fat, so must be burning it up to keep warm. Asking around we have found out she is probably about 12 years old.

Everytime I think she might be my cat, like when she started wanting fuss before eating, and when she first purred (last week!) she then vanishes for a day or so to establish that she is nobodies cat but her own, very independent! Nevertheless, very much at home around here.

All photos in this post (except the rose) can be seen larger if you click on the picture.

17 comments:

spinninglizzy said...

Fortunate cat, to have your greenhouse to hide away in! The winter snow photos are lovely.

Meg in Nelson said...

I particularly like the second snow photo and the cows - are they the same curly red-haired as in Scotland??

Oh, and the greenhouse cat! Great to make acquaintance finally!

Happy Entirely-New Weaving Year to us, Dot!

Geodyne said...

Bless her, she knows when she's on to a good thing.

A warm and happy dye- plant-filled year to you!

Dorothy said...

Meg, you correctly identified the beasts, they are Highland cattle. Their coats can be any colour from white, or red, to dark brown. The owner tells me he has a jacket made from their undercoat, handspun. There is another similar but larger breed, which is the Aberdeen Angus.

Life Looms Large said...

Beautiful pictures!! I've quite enjoyed your snowy tour (even though I'm tired of looking out my window at falling snow.)

Great to meet the greenhouse cat. Interesting that she can eat so much and stay so slim....

Stay warm!
Sue

Hilary said...

just found your blog while searching for help tying up my countermarche loom......my whole family is from England, mother married an American, and so here we are.
Love your blog, will revisit.

Margreet said...

Dorothy,
thanks for your photo tour, lovely pictures. And the greenhouse cat looks very comfy there!
Margreet

Lesley said...

Great photos Dorothy. What is your snow situation now? I guess you've had quite a bit more since these were taken? Looks quite a bit like here - lots of ups and downs!!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand what these weather images are doing on a blog supposedly about fiber art

Helen said...

Hi Dot you might like to think about growing madder in a large tub. I plan to try that this year as it means that it is very easy to harvest the roots.

Leigh said...

Wonderful photos. Love the one of the cat (of course!) I hope you're keeping warm.

Dorothy said...

To anonymous with no e-mail address:

I guess you aren't in the UK as you spell words US fashion.

I'm English, I live in England, and we talk about the weather here all the time, it's never off-topic! It starts and ends most every conversation between friends or strangers.

Barbara Blundell said...

Hi Dorothy,
Happy New Year !
Beautiful scarf.Your Mum must be delighted with it !
Also lovely snow scenes . We are hoping to go to Fritchley to visit my son but haven't made it it yet. At the moment his car is stuck half way down a hill ! Hope it's better with you

trapunto said...

I love those pictures. The contrast with the snow reminds me of etchings. You live in a beautiful place.

OzWeaver said...

What a lovely way to start my morning, looking at your snowy photos! 'Your' cat is adorable and the landscape is beautiful!

Catherine said...

You have the most amazing views!

Brooke said...

The snow looks so gorgeous!! I've lived most of my life in the southern United States and I dream of one day living where it snows so beautifully.