Saturday, 27 June 2009

An update...

I wrote the post about Ismini Samanidou in a moment of inspiration.

However, I know that there are many kind and thoughtful readers, including those of you who left messages on my last post or have e-mailed me about my health. Thank you so much for the caring and supportive words which have helped me get through the past month.

I don't like writing about me - the one subject I think rather boring! - however, it's only fair to give you an update, especially as this illness has become a major event in my life (if only because of all the things it has displaced).

The first three weeks of June were a great struggle, I couldn't think straight much of the time and going from a adrenalin rich lifestyle to getting landed in a sick bed brings a lot of emotional turmoil. Then, last week my brain started working again, in fact mentally I had times of feeling better than I've felt for maybe 3 years. (Oh dear, what have I been doing to myself!!) I'm still taking things very cautiously, I can concentrate on things for an hour or so at a time, I can manage a 1/4 mile walk or a short trip to the greengrocer's (by car). I still get very weary. I still have swollen glands in my neck that can get extremely uncomfortable - this stops my talking much and is eased by sipping water so I never let my throat get dry. I get blood test results on Monday, and I've told work not to expect me back next week.

I want to understand what is happening in my life and what the implications are for the future - I wander around dreaming up plans and then casting them aside. All I can be sure of is that today is o.k., so far. I have to pull myself back to living in the moment, as it's all I can expect to know or understand.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Having just been through a pretty awful year myself, I sympathize and hope that you find a diagnosis and treatment. This quote from Winston Churchill helped me a lot: If you're going through hell, keep going.
Best wishes and hope you are on the road to recovery.

Janet said...

Dot - it's so good to hear from you again even if your news isn't brilliant. I do hope you get a diagnosis soon - that's probably the toughest part, the not knowing.

Leigh said...

I'm so glad you gave us an update. I know that health problems are pretty personal, but you have a lot of folks around the world who enjoy your blog and care about you! I'm glad you are on a definite upswing and hope the tests provide helpful answers.

Barbara Blundell said...

Hi Dorothy
Glad you are back blogging and hope your problems will soon be resolved
Good wishes and love

Lynnette said...

I've got fingers and toes crossed for you....and for a positive outcome.

Helen said...

Hi I am glad you are feeling a little better,and I hope you get a name to your illness soon-amazing the difference that makes! Don't rush back to work what ever you do but give yourself time.
bw Helen

spinninglizzy said...

Dorothy, Thanks for letting us know how your health issues have been going. We really appreciate knowing what is going with your health, as it really impacts all other aspects of you. Please let us know the results of the blood test on Monday -- I'll be thinking of you, and hoping it will be something easy to treat and resolve.

Benita said...

Thank you for updating us on your health. Five years ago, I had a "cardiac event" (basically came within 10 minutes of a heart attack - thank heavens for the quick EMTs who arrived at my house and recognized what was happening) and it took three years before I felt like my old self once again. So, know you are not alone in facing illness that changes your life for a while. Please keep us up to date and know that you are in my prayers and thoughts, even though I am a stranger to you. I love reading your blog.