Tuesday, 2 June 2009

June - a quiet month

This blog is supposed to be about my weaving, spinning and dyeing, not about me.

Temporarily, I'm writing about me. (I don't expect to leave this post in my blog archives.)

As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, I've had 'flu. Last week I felt a lot better. The week started with a glorious sunny Sunday and we went to a rare plant fair in the grounds of beautiful Adlington Hall. I found a some very good plants for the garden, a couple of geums, a vernonica, a couple of mossy saxifrage. I was still weak, but enjoyed sitting on a bench in the sunshine and talking to a lady who'd just bought a lovely magnolia seedling. Monday I felt better again, and I planted the new plants in the garden. Tuesday, another good day, I made bread, did the washing, drove down to the local patchwork fabric shop and bought cloth for the back of the patchwork quilt I mentioned in my last post (the top is now finished).

Wednesday and Thursday I went into work, it was o.k., although I was tired at end of each day. Friday, I was very, very tired, Saturday and Sunday all the virus symptoms were back, yesterday I was at the doctors. I'm signed off work for a full month and am having blood tests for 9 different things, I'm not sure what the tests are, but know some are for viruses that might cause symptoms similar to glandular fever (which I had when I was 18). I actually have only had 4 weeks in 2009 when I haven't had some sort of virus infection. It may just be that I've worn myself out and my immune system needs a break.

I actually knew a year ago I was getting more ill and for longer and needed to change my lifestyle. I had 2 part time paid jobs, and another voluntary job. I gave up the voluntary job and hoped for the best, but the other two jobs were both stressful, had at times conflicting demands, and I was working on 6 days of the week. Although only one day was full time I didn't have time on the one day off to unwind and be relaxed. I was very unhappy with the situation but didn't know which job to give up - neither paid enough to cover my living costs. By the time I got more hours work from one employer and resigned from the other, I was already run down and ill with flu and struggled to work out a week's notice just before Christmas, before spending the holidays ill. Took me two months to get fully better, but I wasn't well long before I had a sinus infection, eye infections, then flu again.

I think you'll understand if I'm not blogging for a while, I shall be quietly resting and looking after myself, maybe some knitting, some spinning, no weaving for a while.

21 comments:

yarninmypocket said...

I do understand, I understand completely. Please,please, do relax as much as you can. I had shingles almost four years ago now, and I am still not 100% as I was before hand, and may never be again. I could *not* believe that the doctors meant "relax", not "catch up on housework"!

Look after yourself,

Alison (from the OLG)

Geodyne said...

I also understand. Do take care of yourself, dear Dot, and take it easy!

Magic Stix said...

I'm so sorry this is happening to you.As a cancer survivor i can relate about the messed up imune system.I used to be a healthy person, now ...
I hope all your tests turn out ok. Rest, relax, take care of yourself.

callybooker said...

I second Alison's comment! Quality rest is hard to do when you're used to being active and busy, but it sounds as though your body has made the decision for you. Watch those cats of yours and follow their example... I'll be thinking of you.

Life Looms Large said...

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with illness....and I'm glad you told us.

I hope the doctors will figure out what's going on and a plan for dealing with it. One of my friends went through something similar and had to take a long course of antibiotics (several months), but she's greatly improved through that.

Meanwhile, hope you can rest up and feel better! Maybe your cats and your friends can conspire to wait on you hand and foot! Sending you healing thoughts!

Sue

Meg in Nelson said...

And maybe a little bit of daydreaming!!

Anonymous said...

Best wishes Dot! I hope you are able to feel better soon- I too am at the age where I simply don't bounce back anymore...
Kimmen

Amelia, belle of The Bellwether said...

Hugs from here! Take care of yourself first, that's most important. I'd rather have Dot than Dot's weaving :-) even if it means Dot isn't blogging.

Peg in South Carolina said...

You must be SOOOOOO frustrated....except you are probably too tired and weak. I hope the doctors found out VERY SOON what is wrong and do let us know when that happens. I also hope that when they find out they know exactly what to do and the results will come quickly. My very best wishes for a speedy diagnosis and recovery.

Alice said...

I agree with Peg that you must be so frustrated in addition to feeling ill! I hope they find out soon what is going on.

I can also, along with Magic Stix, vouch for the fact that the immune system is a very tricky thing to figure out (rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia kicked mine in the teeth). Rest is VERY important so you are on the right track.

Alice
ladyoftheloom.wordpress.com

Benita said...

Don't worry about us, we'll be here when you feel like blogging again. Just rest and get well!

Trapunto said...

I know it's not your intention with the blog, but I do appreciate hearing about your daily life. When I see weaving bloggers doing such beautiful work I tend to think all the other parts of their lives must be as flawless and harmonious as their weaving. Which makes me wonder what's wrong with me that I'm such a mess...

It's hard to talk about these weird health problems that seem to come down extra hard on intelligent, creative achievers. Combined with the difficulty that the health problems are slippery to pin down and treat in the first place, is the difficulty that the creative, intelligent achievers are used to overcoming obstacles by sheer will. Short of being knocked right off their feet, they tend to downplay their problems to others and soldier on, they so hate looking like a mallingerer. (My strained use of the third person, for example!)

Anyway, I wish you the very best, and good rest, and wise doctors. And thanks again for writing this post.

Janet said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems but thanks for sharing. Lots of rest and do what the doctors order. Hope you feel able for lots of reading. I look forward to hearing that you are feeling better soon.

Janet

shirleytreasure said...

Oh, Sweet heart! Relax, Read a book, watch daytime telly & some new dvd's. Weaving & blogging will wait.
I hope you feel better soon, take it easy & life will be easy on you.
Warm well wishes to you...
Shirley xxx

Irene Adler said...

Have a good rest and some peace and quiet - I hope you feel better soon.

Helen said...

I am very sorry to hear that your health is so bad-it must be a worrying time for you. I hope you can spend plenty of time with your feet up interspersed with a little gentle spinning perhaps.Give yourself time to heal Many best wishes Helen

Leigh said...

Oh Dorothy. I'm just getting caught up on blog reading and am concerned to hear this. Your body (and spirit) definitely do need rest. We'll still be here when you are up to blogging again.

sampling said...

Dorothy
All the best with getting better. Rest, take it easy, try not to worry too much. I know it is eaiser said than done but we will be thinking of you.

spinninglizzy said...

Oh, you poor thing! I'm so glad that you're pulling back from some of your activities and reserving your energies for healing. I think that once one exits the immortality of the teens and early twenties, it's best to immediately address illnesses and pains so they don't become chronic. Take good care of yourself, and best wishes from the other side of the world!

deborahbee said...

I was delighted to receive your recent comment. i feel I have been rather lax recently at responding to others. I am really sorry that you have been ill and do hope you are getting back to wellness, energy and creativity. Look after yourself.

Barbara Blundell said...

HI Dorothy.
I left a comment some time ago to say that I was sorry you weren't well and sending you love and best wishes. I don't know what happened to it. It disappeared. Hope you are feeling a bit better by now and will soon be recovered and back weaving