Tuesday, 24 June 2008

I've been weaving, not blogging.

As the title suggests, I've been making weaving a top priority for my spare time the past couple of weeks.

Another priority has been getting two new cats settled into to our home, 1 year old Annie (a little black bundle of energy and fun, she'd been stuck in the cat sanctury from 5 months old and was raring to go... talks non-stop!!) and 2 year old Pheobe (aunt to Annie, altogether a more dignified and stunningly beautiful oriental tabby with bright green eyes). There is no cat in the world could replace the late Oscar... but not having a cat in the house was absolutely unbearable and totally unsustainable, especially when there's lovely cats needing good homes. They came from Dove Cat Rescue Centre. We went to drop off the remaining cat food after Oscar died, and stopped for a look at the cats, and were slightly surprised to find ourselves returning home with two little cats in a borrowed cat carrier.... result: happiness, chaos, maow, prr, prr...

Now back to WEAVING!!!!

I've been having a great adventure with my sample blanket, following the directions in Janet Phillip's Designing Woven Fabrics. I've been taking photos along the way, and will have more to tell you about what I've learnt when I can get to the local library and post up my photos in a blog entry.

Something I really should have learnt long before now: don't try too hard, don't weave too late at night. I thought I'd do just one more section before bed last night - spent three times as long un-weaving as I did weaving.

The sample blanket has 10 different weave threadings (on 4 shafts) across the width, and 50 different treadling patterns to use (before trying some of your own). I'm up to number 22, which is one of a series of 2/2 and plain weave treadlings. Thoughts so far: wow! So many possibilities, so many variations. I love to just sit and look at the cloth, there is so much to see and learn. I hadn't realised this before, it's a simple thing, but take one threading and use treadling patterns that belong to other threadings and all kinds of things happen. Weaving this sample blanket is like travelling a new path, seeing new things, seeing familiar things differently.

I'm thinking ahead too - what would happen if I wove the same sample blanket in wool?

And, what about a colour sampler, to explore the interactions between all those colours of cotton I have waiting in my stash?

3 comments:

Trapunto said...

I've been enjoying your blog but I don't think I've ever left a comment. Congratulations on the kitties! I know what you mean about weaving at night! My beat changes in a weird way too in the evening, without my noticing--sometimes firmer, sometimes weaker.

Barbara said...

Hi Dorothy
Have been wondering where you were. Thought perhaps you were living it up in some exotic location. However,the answer is weaving and new cats- both time consuming but very enjoyable.
The rescue cats at the Dove Centre look delightful.

Leigh said...

I'm delighted to learn about your new kitties! Oscar wouldn't want you to be catless.

Blogging sure does take up a lot of time, doesn't it? I should follow your example and spend more time weaving. :)